UCSB Science Line
Sponge Spicules Nerve Cells Galaxy Abalone Shell Nickel Succinate X-ray Lens Lupine
UCSB Science Line
Home
How it Works
Ask a Question
Search Topics
Webcasts
Our Scientists
Science Links
Contact Information
Do fish have spongy bone with bone marrow that produces blood cells like humans? I found that sharks produce blood by the spleen and another organ called the Leydig's organ. But I couldn't find anything on how fish produce blood cells.
Answer 1:

That's an excellent question. Members of Class Chondrichthyes (sharks, skates, and rays) do not have bones; they only have cartilage. Boney fish (Class Osteichthyes) have bone marrow that they use to make blood. Here's an interesting article on fish being used as models for humans due to their blood-forming similarity:

http://www.brightsurf.com/news/nov_03/EDU_news_111303_b.php

The skeleton of a bony fish gives structure, provides protection, assists in leverage, and is a site of red blood cell production.

A couple of interesting side notes: Our spleen is used for maturation of white blood cells and storage of red blood cells.

Birds (Class Aves) use the cavities in their bones for air sacs, so their bed blood cells have nuclei (unlike ours) which allow them to hang around longer.

Click Here to return to the search form.

University of California, Santa Barbara Materials Research Laboratory National Science Foundation
This program is co-sponsored by the National Science Foundation and UCSB School-University Partnerships
Copyright © 2015 The Regents of the University of California,
All Rights Reserved.
UCSB Terms of Use