UCSB Science Line
Sponge Spicules Nerve Cells Galaxy Abalone Shell Nickel Succinate X-ray Lens Lupine
UCSB Science Line
Home
How it Works
Ask a Question
Search Topics
Webcasts
Our Scientists
Science Links
Contact Information
I am trying to find out the name of a bright orange, dust-like lichen that grows on oak or pine trees in the uk. Can you tell me what it might be? It doesn't have a visible structure like other lichens.
Answer 1:

Here are a few websites I pulled up by googling "lichen identification UK" and"lichen identification UK orange." The first website is kind of like a field guide that helps you identify the lichen in question. However, the first thing it does is ask you to describe the structure of the lichen. But clicking around through the website might give you some idea. The other two websites (well one is really a brochure) have pictures that I looked at and found something that maybe matches your description. You can take a look for yourself and see. Good luck!

lichen guide

is an identification guide online. There are options you can click on depending on how your lichen looks like and the website narrows it down from there.

lichen broch

is a brochure offered by a botanical garden in Britain, the Rosemoor. It identifies several types of lichen growing on the grounds. Looking through the pictures briefly I thought that maybe Trentepohlia matched your description the best. Interestingly, it is a green algae (not a lichen species by itself), butit is known to form symbiotic relationships with fungi.

bioreference

This website is from the University of Paisley and is about Trentepohlia. The lichen genus Opegrapha (which is crustose in structure) is supposed to contain Trentepohlia(although the most of the pictures I looked at didn't look like how you described.)

If you search on search

for Trentepohlia (and Opegrapha), youcan pull up more pictures of these organisms and see if that's what you are looking for.

Click Here to return to the search form.

University of California, Santa Barbara Materials Research Laboratory National Science Foundation
This program is co-sponsored by the National Science Foundation and UCSB School-University Partnerships
Copyright © 2015 The Regents of the University of California,
All Rights Reserved.
UCSB Terms of Use