Your question is based on a wrong assumption:
not only lemon juice can be used to clean copper.
Any weak acid, e.g. vinegar or orange juice,
would do the trick. The chemistry behind it is
simple. An oxide layer forms on the surface of
the copper item, such as a penny, when it gets in
contact with air, especially moist air, for a long
time. If you expose a metal oxide to an acid,
such as the citric acid in lemon juice, the oxide
layer dissolves. This reveals a shining copper
layer that was hidden underneath.
juice and vinegar are excellent environmentally
friendly cleaning reagents for all kinds of
purposes. You can safely clean your whole kitchen
using these ingredients.Happy cleaning,
You can use other liquids to clean copper, but
the citric acid in the lemon juice works very well
at cleaning metals. Many acids are good at
cleaning, but since lemons aren't too dangerous
(other than the stinging the acid can cause if it
gets in your eye or a cut), it can be a good idea
to use lemon juice to be safe and keep the
Click Here to return to the search form.