UCSB Science Line
Sponge Spicules Nerve Cells Galaxy Abalone Shell Nickel Succinate X-ray Lens Lupine
UCSB Science Line
How it Works
Ask a Question
Search Topics
Our Scientists
Science Links
Contact Information
Hi! Thanks for your help so far. I have heard of a good way to connect two rotating parts, using a "press fit". I heard that there is a formula to calculate the deviation between the diameters of the two parts being connected, but have so far havent found it on my own. Do you know the formula? Thanks for your help!
Question Date: 2009-04-27
Answer 1:

I have looked into press fittings and the official term for them is "interference fitting." Also, I'm guessing you want to calculate the "allowance" between the two parts being connected. Internet searching these two terms may help point you in the correct direction beyond the sites below.

Allowance Equation:

List of common Young's Modulus (also known as the "elastic modulus") values:

List of common Poisson Ratios: click_here

Young's Modulus explained:

Poisson Ratio explained:

Depending on what materials you're interest in, you might have to dig deeper than those websites to get the Young's Modulus and the Poisson Ratio.

Good luck!

Click Here to return to the search form.

University of California, Santa Barbara Materials Research Laboratory National Science Foundation
This program is co-sponsored by the National Science Foundation and UCSB School-University Partnerships
Copyright © 2017 The Regents of the University of California,
All Rights Reserved.
UCSB Terms of Use