UCSB Science Line
Sponge Spicules Nerve Cells Galaxy Abalone Shell Nickel Succinate X-ray Lens Lupine
UCSB Science Line
How it Works
Ask a Question
Search Topics
Our Scientists
Science Links
Contact Information
Is the coral reef poisonous?
Question Date: 2012-05-03
Answer 1:

Some things living on coral reefs are, indeed, poisonous. Some kinds of pufferfish, starfish, lionfish, sea urchins, and sea anemones could be poisonous if you tried to touch or eat them--and these animals all live on coral reefs. Coral, itself, is usually not poisonous, but if you scrape yourself on a piece of coral and get a cut, your cut could get infected and it would be pretty painful.

With all of these poisonous things, you might think that a coral reef is a scary place to be. This is not the case! Even though there are poisonous animals on coral reefs, they usually won't bother you if you leave them alone. Coral reefs are beautiful and incredible places to go swimming!

Answer 2:

I've gone snorkeling in coral reefs, and I didn't get hurt. So coral reefs aren't poisonous, but there might be some poisonous animals and fish that live in some coral reefs.

Answer 3:

Some species of coral do contain poisons.

Answer 4:

The reefs are not poisonous, but the corals that make them are.

Click Here to return to the search form.

University of California, Santa Barbara Materials Research Laboratory National Science Foundation
This program is co-sponsored by the National Science Foundation and UCSB School-University Partnerships
Copyright © 2020 The Regents of the University of California,
All Rights Reserved.
UCSB Terms of Use