Owls are great aren’t they? As you know, they
are mostly active at night. During the day, they
usually stay hidden in trees. They are very hard
to see because:
1. They stay still. It is hard to find
things that don’t move.
2. They hide themselves where there are a
lot of leaves. This keeps them in the dark and
3. Their feathers have a pattern that
looks like bark. If they were all one color, they
would be easy to see.
4. They have feathers sticking up out of
their heads. This breaks up their outline, making
them harder to see.
5. They keep their eyes closed. If you
look at pictures of camouflaged owls, they eyes
are the easiest thing to see. If you Google “owl
camouflage,” you can see some amazing photos.
Some owls live in burrows under the ground, a
whole different way to hide.
Why do you think owls are active at night
If you are interested in birds, you may want to
be an ornithologist some day.