UCSB Science Line
Sponge Spicules Nerve Cells Galaxy Abalone Shell Nickel Succinate X-ray Lens Lupine
UCSB Science Line
Home
How it Works
Ask a Question
Search Topics
Webcasts
Our Scientists
Science Links
Contact Information
I there an easy way to make agar plates from our local kelp? I want to do a science experiment where I use agar plate to let bacteria grow on and I thought I could make these plates myself.
Answer 1:

Unfortunately there is not an easy way to extract the compound you need (Sodium alginate) from kelp. It is a rather complex procedure. But, that doesn't mean you can't make agar plates on your own. You can buy agar at most health food stores (it is also called agar-agar) and you can make the plates with soup broth. The trickiest part is sterilizing the plates, which requires a pressure cooker. Pressure cookers can be dangerous and would definetly require that you work with an adult. If you are interested in reading more about making agar plates for conducting a study in bacteriology (the study of bacteria), take a look at this webpage -- it is very helpful.
http://www.science-projects.com/PlatesSelfMade.htm
Good luck on your project!

Click Here to return to the search form.

University of California, Santa Barbara Materials Research Laboratory National Science Foundation
This program is co-sponsored by the National Science Foundation and UCSB School-University Partnerships
Copyright © 2015 The Regents of the University of California,
All Rights Reserved.
UCSB Terms of Use