UCSB Science Line
Sponge Spicules Nerve Cells Galaxy Abalone Shell Nickel Succinate X-ray Lens Lupine
UCSB Science Line
Home
How it Works
Ask a Question
Search Topics
Webcasts
Our Scientists
Science Links
Contact Information
Why is odor always classified as a physical property as opposed to a chemical property?
Answer 1:

I can't imagine.
Scent is detected by specialized cells which bind to specific species of chemicals. It is nearly always a chemical property.One might quibble that the scent process does not induce a chemical reaction -- but in many cases it does. (Ozone has a definite scent, but largely reacts inside the body before being exhaled.)

Answer 2:

Is odor classified as a physical property ?
This might be simply as matter of convenience. Odor is very much a chemical property.It is now well known that different molecules have one of several smells. The sensation of smell is produced when the odor-causing molecule binds to certain sites (called receptors) high up in the nose.
To a large extent, it is believed that the shapes of molecules control how they smell. This is a very active area of research worldwide.

Answer 3:

I have never seen 'odor' classified as a physical property. I suppose that it would be classified as such because it can be measured without having to bring along a chemistry kit of some sort. Of course,it is a chemical property, and in truth, you do need a chemistry kit to identify it - but said chemistry set is a part of your body, so...I don't know why odor is considered a physical property and not a chemical one. It doesn't make sense to me. I think that whoever came up with that identification is incorrect.

Click Here to return to the search form.

University of California, Santa Barbara Materials Research Laboratory National Science Foundation
This program is co-sponsored by the National Science Foundation and UCSB School-University Partnerships
Copyright © 2015 The Regents of the University of California,
All Rights Reserved.
UCSB Terms of Use