UCSB Science Line
Sponge Spicules Nerve Cells Galaxy Abalone Shell Nickel Succinate X-ray Lens Lupine
UCSB Science Line
Home
How it Works
Ask a Question
Search Topics
Webcasts
Our Scientists
Science Links
Contact Information
In the summer when I go to the beach, my hair gets a lot lighter. What is it that causes it to go that? Is it the sun, saltwater, or both?
Answer 1:

I did some web search and here is what I found:Sunlight damages hair just like it damages skin and the lighter the hair the easier it gets damaged. This is a photochemical damage to the hair shaft that breaks down the sulfur bonds and the hair becomes fragile. The hair pigments that are vulnerable to chemical modification by this photobleaching process lose color. Rearrangements in the pigments molecular structure changes the way light is absorbed and reflected. A similar effect can be caused by chemical bleaching by the hair stylist or from chlorine in a swimming pool by a process called chemical bleaching.

Click Here to return to the search form.

University of California, Santa Barbara Materials Research Laboratory National Science Foundation
This program is co-sponsored by the National Science Foundation and UCSB School-University Partnerships
Copyright © 2015 The Regents of the University of California,
All Rights Reserved.
UCSB Terms of Use