According to the CDC,
Black Mold is not a specific type of mold,
though the term is commonly used to refer to
There are more than
100,000 species of mold though, coming
in a variety of colors. A black mold may be Black
Mold, or something else, and a mold being black
does not mean that it produces toxic substances,
just as mold of other colors are not necessarily
non-toxicogenic. Regardless of the appearance of
the mold, it should be removed.
Black Mold is no different from others in how
and where it grows. All molds reproduce by means
of spores which can be transported through
the air or on anything moving through their
spores can grow when they land on a
surface which is an acceptable food source
(including most materials high in
cellulose, one of the primary components of
wood, paper, etc.) and excessive moisture or
humidity. A disinfectant should not be
required to prevent molds, including Black Mold,
from growing. Instead, avoid producing conditions
which are amenable to their growth in the first
The CDC and
WHO recommend keeping indoor humidity
and moisture levels low, killing existing
molds, and avoiding materials which do not dry
Molds are valuable links in the chain
involving breakdown of organic matter.
Outdoors ("in nature") they help to break down
dead leaves and trees; indoors, they break down
the same materials. This is a problem because we
prefer the parts of our homes which are made of
wood to remain intact. Molds growing indoors
can lead to various health problems, as
detailed in the CDC and WHO links above. However,
much of the concern over Black Mold is due to
hyping by media of a possible connection between
Black Mold and hemorrhages in infants; the CDC
asserts that such a connection has NOT been
proven. (But, molds should still be eliminated
from your indoor spaces because of the other
The Stachybotrys fungus causes black mold.
I used to use Chlorox bleach to remove mold, and
I had to remove it every several months. Here's a
recipe from the internet:
Combine 1 cup of bleach to no less than 1 gallon
of water. You also need to protect yourself from
the mold and the Chlorox, so I'll not try to give
you a complete answer. Do a google search for
'disinfectant to prevent Black Mold', and it will
give you many answers. Talk with a responsible
adult to decide what to do.
Black mold, or molds of the genus
Stachybotrys, tend to grow in warm, moist
environments where there is a lot of cellulose for
them to eat. Cellulose is often
found in paper products, cardboard, ceiling tiles,
wood, and other common materials found in homes.
The most common type of black mold found in
homes is Stachybotrys chartarum. Mold
spores enter homes through doorways,
windows, and ventilation systems where they latch
onto something in a room
and, if they have enough water and food, begin to
grow into mold infestations.
Bleach or soap and water can be used to
disinfect surfaces and remove mold.
Currently, the best way to prevent mold is to
keep humidity levels low, ensure
there is proper ventilation in a room so that mold
spores do not sit in one place
for too long, and regularly examine the building
for water damage and leaks.
Maybe you will invent a better solution! Perhaps
by thinking of ways to make it
harder for spores to enter houses, or by figuring
out if there is anything mold
doesn’t like to grow on.
Click Here to return to the search form.