The average kid under 12 consumes 49 pounds of
sugar per year (think the size of a medium dog!),
which is a LOT! It’s hard to put a number on
the amount of sugar it causes to start a “sugar
shock” and it will definitely vary depending on
body size. But scientists recommend not kids
shouldn’t eat more than 6 teaspoons a day,
but usually kids consume TWICE this amount in a
day, which can cause sugar shocks!
The technical term for sugar shock is
hyperglycemia. This means that the body has
ingested more sugar, or glucose, than it can
handle. Glucose is critical for our bodies.
Our cells actually need it to function. However,
when we eat too much, it can be really unhealthy
for our bodies. The healthy range for glucose
in the bloodstream is 50-80 milligrams per
deciliter. Symptoms of hyperglycemia
usually start after 180-200 milligrams per
deciliter. It can even go as high as 400!
Symptoms of hyperglycemia include frequent
urination, increased thirst, blurred vision,
heartache, and fatigue. These people need to go to
the hospital because if left untreated, it can
cause a diabetic coma!
Click Here to return to the search form.