Static shocks are caused by the transfer of
electrical charge from one object to another.
Every physical thing we experience is made of
electrically charged matter, which is either
"positive" or "negative". However, usually
the amount of positive charge is the same as the
amount of negative charge, so the total charge is
zero. It is like adding '1's and then subtracting
the same number of '1's, for example:
When things touch each other some charges can
move from one object to another. When you walk on
a carpeted floor, negative charges move into your
body. Because door knobs are usually made of metal
(which conducts electrical charges very well),
when you touch a door knob these extra
electrical charges leave your body and go to the
door knob. This is what gives you an
electrical shock. But don't worry, although it is
electricity flowing through your body, these
types of static shocks aren't dangerous
because the amount of charged particles flowing
between you and the door knob is quite small.
I hope this helps answer your question!
Click Here to return to the search form.