UCSB Science Line
Sponge Spicules Nerve Cells Galaxy Abalone Shell Nickel Succinate X-ray Lens Lupine
UCSB Science Line
Home
How it Works
Ask a Question
Search Topics
Webcasts
Our Scientists
Science Links
Contact Information
I read the answer to a question concerning warping of space-time. i.e the curvature of space-time is due to the effects of massive objects and their consequence, gravity. ok I have read about experiments concerning high powered lasers that are reflected around a space to infinity and the area within the space has shown a slight warpage or bending in its local space-time. Are the lasers causing a build up of mass in this area or are they providing "traction" on space-time and causing a rotation to occur?
Question Date: 2004-07-21
Answer 1:

The lasers are not causing any bending of space time; their paths are being bent by the gravitational field due to the warping of space time by a massive object.
A great book to read is "The Physics of Star Trek" by Lawrence Krauss. You can find it on line at Amazon, or through his web page,
http://erebus.phys.cwru.edu/~krauss/krauss.html .

Click Here to return to the search form.

University of California, Santa Barbara Materials Research Laboratory National Science Foundation
This program is co-sponsored by the National Science Foundation and UCSB School-University Partnerships
Copyright © 2017 The Regents of the University of California,
All Rights Reserved.
UCSB Terms of Use