UCSB Science Line
Sponge Spicules Nerve Cells Galaxy Abalone Shell Nickel Succinate X-ray Lens Lupine
UCSB Science Line
Home
How it Works
Ask a Question
Search Topics
Webcasts
Our Scientists
Science Links
Contact Information
If only 1% of a 100W light bulb's energy is emitted in the form of visible light, whats the other 99%? Some of it is heat, I assume - but to say all of the 99% is heat seems excessive... does the tungsten (or whatever element is used as filament these days) emit some other form of electromagnetic energy as well?
Answer 1:

Actually, Tungsten is supposed to be a pretty good black body emitter at that temperature (about 2500K). So I integrated the black body curve tosee how much was visible divided by the flux that was not. I used 670nmas the red limit and 370nm as the violet limit. Here is what I got:
at 2000K (old car headlamps) 0.58% is visible
at 2500K (typical bulb) 2.67% is visible
at 3000K (halogen bulb) 7.2% is visible
and for the sun 5700K, ~65% is visible. The solar value is off a bit since I did not count ultraviolet light which is minimal in regular bulbs and because hydrogen gas is not a great black body...
So I missed it a bit -- but the results do show why halogen bulbs are so much cheaper to run and that even they aren't so good...
1% was a guess -- I should have been more careful. The invisible energy is nearly all infrared light (at 2500K the peak emission is about 1.1umin the near infrared.) This energy definitely leaves the envelope as the bulb itself would rapidly melt otherwise. (I confirmed this one experimentally some years ago as a TA in a physics lab section.)

By the way -- there is a nice java applet to show the black body light curve as a function of temperature at:
http://lectureonline.cl.msu.edu/~mmp/applist/blackbody/black.htm


Click Here to return to the search form.

University of California, Santa Barbara Materials Research Laboratory National Science Foundation
This program is co-sponsored by the National Science Foundation and UCSB School-University Partnerships
Copyright © 2015 The Regents of the University of California,
All Rights Reserved.
UCSB Terms of Use